Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Method #5 Photos and Images


TSLAC2.0
Originally uploaded by pdsmall

I have had a Flickr account for about a year. I mainly use it for personal pictures although I did upload pictures for an introduction to copyright that I presented to the high school staff.

The attached picture is of the Bandera High School Library sans students so that I did not have to worry about the privacy issue. Our library has a beautiful view of the Texas Hill Country, but unfortunately does not have much storage room. Sorry, I digress.

I think that online photo sharing has a lot of potential in the library world. When librarians compare notes about what they are doing in their libraries, a graphic illustration such as a picture is always beneficial.

Librarians are always gracious about sharing information and saving their colleagues time by not having to "reinvent the wheel." For example, I knew nothing about Animoto, but I saw a demo and realized that the program could take my pictures from Flickr and make those into a short video. I chose the music (no more than 30 second) and was able to make an interesting introduction to my copyright presentation.

I am more than willing to share the pictures to save others time. I think that the is one of the biggest advantages -- saving busy librarians time -- by sharing our resources. Those resources coupled with pictures of "how my library works" could also assist librarians who are new to the field. And it never hurst for us older ones to learn a few tricks. That is what is great great about 12 Things.

No comments:

Post a Comment