Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Method 3 Computing in the Cloud

I am writing this blog in Zoho Writer because I am unfamiliar with this suite of productivity tools. It is also very useful because I can transfer this information to my blog. I have been reading the articles associated with computing in the cloud, and I see both pros and cons to this concept, albeit mostly pros.

I have found Zoho to be user friendly, and I think that I could become adept at the programs if I devoted some time to them. The concept of clouding has some great advantages as far as storing information on the Web instead of the home and work computers in addition to the laptop. To be able to access information wherever the user is located has so many advantages. Countless times I have assisted my high school library users when they have prepared a paper at home in MS Works and then are attempting to open it at school in MS Word. Zoho Writer or Google Docs could eliminate these headaches.

Currently I store my photos on Flickr, and it is convenient if I am creating a book trailer in Animoto to have Animoto access my Flickr account and move my photos to the book trailer automatically. I do not know if all of these tools operate so seamlessly, but ilf they do, it really reduces the frustration level. Nevertheless, I sometimes have a twinge of concern over whether my creations will be safe if I do not have any kind of backup.

Jenny of The Shifted Librarian fame has some concerns that make sense. She states that we teach our users about these services, but we also have a responsibility to inform them about the consequences. She uses the example of a patron saving a resume to an online site and the data is lost. She listed other concerns that people are too enamored of Google Docs and don't consider other choices. Privacy is also an issue.

I find that there is also a problem when working in a high school environment that we are very limited in our access on the Web. The filter that the technology department uses does not allow student access to blogs. Of course Facebook and MySpace are off limits as are other social networking tools such as Wikis. Until that mindset changes, the cloud will not become a viable part of the high school curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment