Thursday, November 5, 2009

Method #8 Social Networking

I really like the idea of social networking, but have hit some snags due to the fact that when I try to access Facebook (after my workday is over), I am blocked from using it. At home, because of our location, we are still in the dark ages, and I become very frustated trying to access the site. Therefore, I was unable to access part of the suggestions under activities.

I did read the articles about social networking being the end of privacy and the guide to online privacy. I do understand how vital it is to keep your personal and professional sides separate. Also, I would not have Facebook interactions with high school students from our library because I think that can get complicated.

Twittering would be ideal for our high school library because it would be an great PR tool, and I think the students would enjoy it. I am considering twittering on the library's Web page, but the students would have to access it away from school because it is blocked in my district. This is a shame because I could promote events as they happen and hopefully get the students more involved. Twittering would also indicate to our users that we are attempting to remain relevant and user friendly.

Perhaps in the next few years as we face so many changes, the powers that be will change their minds about Web 2.0

No comments:

Post a Comment